Buckinghamshire Mind works to support and represent people with mental health problems living across the county. We tackle stigma and discrimination head-on. We support our service-users to live safe, purposeful and fulfilled lives in our communities. We believe in their recovery and are hopeful about their future.
Working together with National Mind, we will not give up until everyone in our community gets both support & respect.
Volunteer Opportunity: Befriending volunteer
Location: Across Bucks
Times: 2 hours per week (average)
Being a befriender means giving some time to someone who may be in a difficult place; listening, being reliable, offering hope and ultimately empowering them to move forward. People often need to increase their self-esteem and confidence and building relationships can be key to this. Isolation and loneliness go hand in hand with depression and anxiety and these are unseen problems which people increasingly struggle with.
We are looking for empathic, warm people to be volunteer befrienders who can build up relationships of trust with service users for a period of up to 6 months. A befriender may support a person to access a new activity or group or signpost to other opportunities to give longer term support within the community. Befriending can help someone stay well and prevent them needing more intensive support in the future.
As a befriending volunteer you can make a real difference.
Activities may include:
• Meeting and having coffee
• Considering wellbeing needs and putting these into practice
• Accessing exercise or leisure pursuits
• Providing information about local activities, groups and support
• Attending a social group, creative activity or lunch club with the aim of improving connection in the community.
• Telephone support
• Maintain strict confidentiality concerning all Buckinghamshire Mind matters
• Follow Buckinghamshire Mind safeguarding policies and procedures at all times
• Support equality and diversity principles
• All volunteering opportunities require References and will be subject to an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service Check.
If this volunteering opportunity is of interest to you, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org