Who is this suitable for?
This service is available to both primary and secondary schools in Buckinghamshire and East Berkshire.
What can I expect?
- Our Children and Young People’s team will deliver a full day of training to sixth formers or year 5/6; enabling them to become Peer Mentors to fellow students. This training includes mental health awareness and key aspects of their role such as their responsibilities, communication, listening skills and safeguarding.
- Each school uses different names, some call their mentors ‘buddies’, ‘ambassadors’ or ‘peer listeners’ but their role is universal. Schools work on a drop-in room or referral basis – this depends on what works best in each school.
- We will also help and support school staff to set up and run the Peer Support service. We do this by facilitating termly feedback sessions with mentors and mentees, helping mentors prepare promotional assemblies and deliver a parent coffee morning.
- We also organise a coordinators meet-up towards the end of the school year, offering all our coordinators the opportunity to network with other schools.
How can I access this service?
To find out more information about this service please contact [email protected] or call 01494 463364.
- All communication will only be with a designated member of staff within the school.
- Direct contact with pupils is only in-person at the training sessions within the school.
- Bucks Mind does not collect and personal data on any pupil who attends the training.
“It is so much fun being a mentor as it is a role to benefit both the speaker and the listener. ”
If you feel you require any support to access this service, for example hearing loop, translator or mobility aids, please call 01494 463364 or email [email protected] and we will get back to you to discuss your individual needs.