We offer short-term intervention to people while they are in a mental health crisis, as an alternative to A&E.
We understand that a mental health crisis can be a frightening and sometimes lonely experience. We are here to let you know that you are not alone. We provide listening support, signposting and safety planning in a welcoming and supportive setting. We also understand that people sometimes want a place to just ‘be’ during a mental health crisis, and that’s fine too.
We are here seven evenings a week from 6.00pm – midnight.
To contact Safe Haven in Aylesbury, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday, please call 01296 453017.
To contact Safe Haven in High Wycombe, seven evenings a week, please call 01494 218098.
Talk to someone you trust
Let family or friends know what’s going on for you. They may be able to offer support and help keep you safe.
There’s no right or wrong way to talk about suicidal feelings – starting the conversation is what’s important.
Who else you can talk to
If you find it difficult to talk to someone you know, you could:
- Call your GP – ask for an emergency appointment
- Call 111 out of hours – they will help you find the support and help you need
- Contact your mental health crisis team – if you have one
Tips for coping right now
- Try not to think about the future – just focus on getting through today
- Stay away from drugs and alcohol
- Get yourself to a safe place, like a friend’s house
- Be around other people
- Do something you usually enjoy, such as spending time with a pet
Worried about someone else?
- If you’re worried about someone, try to get them to talk to you. Ask open-ended questions like: “How do you feel about…?”
- Don’t worry about having the answers. Just listening to what someone has to say and taking it seriously can be more helpful.
- See the Samaritans’ tips on how to start a difficult conversation.
- Rethink also has advice on how to support someone who is having suicidal thoughts.
Contains information from NHS Digital, licenced under the current version of the Open Government Licence